Pogona Vitticeps Care Sheet - Husbandry is KEY!!
Enclosure: Minimum enclosure should be 4x2x2 (120 gal). However, the more room the better!
Basking: A halogen basking bulb with basking surface at 105-115° F. Tempuratures will be the same through out your Bearded Dragon's life.
UVB Lighting and Fixtures: Proper high output T5 fixture and bulb. UVB should cover half the enclosure and be positioned in an area that your dragon will be exposed when basking.
Arcadia 14% : 18-24 inches (replaced every 12 months)
Arcadia 12% : 12-18 inches (replaced every 12 months)
Reptisun 10.0: 10-12 inches (replaced every 6 months)
Blackthorn Dragons T5 kit: 10-12 inches (replaced every 6 months)
Temperature Gradient: A gradient of 80-90° F on the hot side and 70-75° F on the cool side. Night time heat is not needed unless temperatures drop below 60° F every night. If temperature drops consistently, you can use a ceramic heat emitter (CHE) or a deep heat projector (DHP). No night time bulbs that emit light, a dragon should sleep in the dark.
Basking platform: Your dragon will need a solid flat surface to lay out on and absorb the heat while basking.
Substrate: A mix of play sand, excavator clay, and top soil works great!
Supplements: We recommend a quality calcium without D3 (used daily), a multivitamin with D3 (used twice a month) and bee pollen (used twice a month).
Diet: We do not believe in "staple" feeders. Your dragon should be provided a variety of insects and offered greens daily.
Juvenile dragons: 80% insects and 20% greens
Sub-adult dragons: 80% greens and 20% insects
Other general care:
1. All your dragons will need to be housed individually. They are not social animals and will compete for the best resources, which can lead to injury and malnutrition.
2. Soak your dragon 1-3 times a week at slightly warm/ room temperature water that sits up to their elbows. This ensures that your dragon stays hydrated and helps keep them clean and free of feces.
3. It is recommended that you take your dragon to an exotics animal vet visit for a yearly check-up. We say exotics animal vet, meaning they have an understanding of reptiles and know how to treat these animals. A fecal test is highly advisable to view the overall health of your dragon and to ensure that the
dragon is free of parasites.
BEFORE bringing your Dragon home:
Make sure you have your Dragon’s enclosure set up and that you have the appropriate temperature gradient! Having all this prepared before your Dragon’s arrival will help them settle in better and will allow your animal to grow and thrive. Please remember husbandry is key to a happy and healthy dragon.
Please keep in mind that it can take up to 2-4 weeks for your dragon to settle and become accustomed to their new environment. It’s especially important during this time to offer a soak to your dragon to maintain hydration. Your dragon may hide from you for a little while or not want to eat in front of you, this behavior is totally normal in the beginning stages. Continue working with your dragon, providing some interaction based on the dragons comfortability, and offering insects and salads daily.
If somethings seems not right or you notice anything that is worrisome, feel free to reach out! We are more than happy to help and offer assistance in the best way we can!!
- Enclosure 4x2x2 minumum
- UVB Fixture: T5 HO fixture half the length of your enclosure
- UVB Bulb
- Basking bulb: Halogen basking bulb
- Dome fixture that can accommodate your basking wattage!
- Thermometer: Ideal to measure the ambient temps so one at the hot end and one at the cool end
- Temperature gun
- Tiles or bare bottom work if you have a PVC enclosure. If you want substrate: Top soil, Excavator clay, and play sand
- Calcium with Vit. without D3
- Multivitamin Powder
- Bee Pollen
Optional but HIGHLY RECOMMENDED purchases:
Nighttime heat if your enclosure will drop below 60 degrees Fahrenheit: A CHE / Arcadia deep heat penetrator are great options
Heavy duty Velcro or command hooks! (mounting uvb lighting)
A surge protector: I use the KASA SMART outlet brand because of the ability to set a time for each socket or Surge protector AND timer.